Правила форума

Форум ВРЕМЕННО ЗАКРЫТ для новых публикаций

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: Мои широкополосные динамики
СообщениеДобавлено: 19 янв 2013, 22:02 

Here are some of my widerange drivers that I have made during the last few years.

Field coil driver which uses 10” Telefunken cone (made in 1939). It has wooden suspension with 30cm arm’s length:

Изображение Изображение

Изображение Изображение

Изображение Изображение

Заголовок сообщения: Re: Мои широкополосные динамики
СообщениеДобавлено: 19 янв 2013, 22:13 

Field coil driver which again uses Telefunken 1939 cone, but this time it is smaller – only 8”:

Изображение Изображение

Изображение Изображение

Изображение Изображение

Here you can see its silver filled pole piece:
Изображение

And here it is after the machining with massive copper sleeve over it:
Изображение

Against 8” Atelier Rullit driver:
Изображение

СообщениеДобавлено: 19 янв 2013, 22:19 

This is my best sounding driver, and it is also the best wide range driver I have ever heard (and I have heard almost any WR driver on this planet, including the most reputable ones).

Изображение Изображение Изображение

Best regards from Bulgaria!

СообщениеДобавлено: 19 янв 2013, 23:57 

cool :shock:

СообщениеДобавлено: 20 янв 2013, 00:09 

Hi Peter! What kind of magnet do you use in this speaker ? Its looks not so big ? If its sounding BEST why make bigger? :)
Today I have received great appreciation from the client for my work 80cm Woodmonitors. And the evening was listening and comparing Kondo acoustics VS Maxsonic 20cm field coil .
With best wishes /Mihail/

Вложения:

СообщениеДобавлено: 20 янв 2013, 10:11 

Первые картинки я уже видел. Все очень хорошо сделано, но хотелось бы рассказа об этих динамиках. Это эксперименты? Или попытки создания каких-то прототипов. Что замышлялось? Что получилось в результате?

Вложения:

СообщениеДобавлено: 21 янв 2013, 02:36 

urakoff писал(а):
Hi Peter! What kind of magnet do you use in this speaker ? Its looks not so big ? If its sounding BEST why make bigger? :)

Hi Mihail,
The magnet system is made of ultra pure vacuum annealed Armco iron and it is very linear at small signal levels (very thin hysteresis loop, very low loss). It is not big because of several reasons. First of all, I found that the reflective area behind the center of the cone should be as small as possible (in order to produce natural sound). The acoustic barrier should be behind the outer part of the cone, not behind its center, and this is very important. This can be done only with small diameter magnet system and non-reflective speaker frame. The second reason is having as small volume of iron around the voice coil as possible – this is important for the linearity at low levels and helps to reproduce properly the decay of the notes, the fine nuances of the instrument’s timbre and the acoustic environment where the musicians have been played. Well, the total magnetic flux is not so big, but this is not so important as many people tend to believe. In my opinion, the much much more important element of the “motor” is the voice coil. I tried over 20 different voice coil topologies in order to find the best performing one. This driver uses very low inductance 19mm voice coil (on the inner side of the paper former) that instead of using single wire, uses 3 very thin (0,07mm) wires in parallel (arranged in single layer). Now I’m developing a new driver with even smaller voice coil (16mm diameter) with 4x0,05mm (!) wires. Only the ultra thin wire is able to transmit the real colors of the sound and the single thick wire sounds “black and white” in comparison. The diameter of the magnet system is even smaller – only 55mm. There are a lot of silver anti-modulation rings inside (and some other tricks) to ensure stable operating point and low distortion regardless of the small size. So the bigger size will be a step in a wrong direction… You know – the know-how is more important than the size ;)

Евгений писал(а):
Первые картинки я уже видел. Все очень хорошо сделано, но хотелось бы рассказа об этих динамиках. Это эксперименты? Или попытки создания каких-то прототипов. Что замышлялось? Что получилось в результате?

(Excuse me I’m replying in English – unfortunately my Russian is poor…). If you are asking me about the 10” driver shown in the first post, I will tell you that its topology restricts it to produce the so called by me “fresh breeze effect”. What I’m talking about? Before I made the driver I performed a lot of experiments with wooden suspensions with long arms and after I had excellent results I decided to make a driver with 30cm long arm. In fact it outperforms smaller (shorter) suspensions, but there is a huge downside – the baffle around the cone also becomes big. The sound result due to this big surface around the cone was kind of disappointment to me – it produces sound fog around the instruments (and this cannot be prevented even with sound absorbing material over it) and the sound becomes less realistic, less alive… So that was a good lesson for me and after a lot of thinking how I can make a driver with long suspension and small baffle at the same time, I decided it doesn’t worth the multiple complications of the design, so I abandoned the concept. From that moment on, I generally avoid the big surfaces around the cone as much as I can.
But aside from the technical aspects, the most important thing for me in Audio is the philosophy behind the sound. I have strictly visualized (in my head) idea what kind of sound, and more importantly – what kind of sound presentation I’m looking for. The difficult part was to get that sound in reality via loudspeakers… I started to modify different speakers and I slowly began to understand how to manipulate and navigate their sound in the direction that I want. So after I gained some serious experience, I started to make my own drivers, but none of these drivers did combine all the sound properties in a single package – there was always a compromise of at least one sound aspect. There was a 2-3 months long period of personal disappointment and absence of desire to do anything related to audio, because there was always a missing element. Then in the end of summer 2012 I suddenly had an inspiration and I immediately renew the research. It took me about 4 months of experiments and the elliptic driver (shown in the third post) was born. The key point here is that it combines several self-conflicting properties that I haven’t seen in any other driver. For example it can reproduce very smooth and very dynamic sounds at the SAME TIME without compromising any of them. It also allows the listener to hear more recording details than even a pair of very high quality headphones, and at the same time it has nor peaks nor dips in its response. But the most important to me is its ability to create very very convincing illusion of REAL instruments playing, and at the same time to reacreate the original acoustic environment and the spirit of the musical event – it is very magical in its own way feeling that I simply cannot describe! If I have to visualize it – it is something like this – you instantly feel the atmosphere of the recordings:

Изображение

This is how it looks like for other drivers in comparison to the elliptic one:
Изображение

The black background of the picture becomes the acoustic properties of the room of the listener, and NOT the original acoustic space of the recording – so you get realistic sound image IN YOUR ROOM, but you are not at the place where the music was performed.. There is much more for explaining, but it can be understood after one hears this sound in reality – the photos of the drivers do not reveal their sound…

СообщениеДобавлено: 21 янв 2013, 16:11 

Да, Хараланов, я понял. Спасибо! Но я все же предпочитаю не глушить, а "развязывать" резонансы. Хотя тот же Кондо предпочитал их глушить. А старые немцы предпочитали "развязывать". Это вопрос о том, кому где нравится сидеть в зрительном зале: в первом ряду или в амфитеатре? Тот же звук, но разительно отличающийся сам от себя, в зависимости от места прослушивания.
А динамики у Вас, правда, интересные...

Вложения:

СообщениеДобавлено: 22 янв 2013, 01:45 

Hi Peter thank you very much for the detailed history of the creation of your speakers especially pleased with the breadth and freedom of thought. Here in Russia there are several people who hear asymmetric systems where the left and right channels are different and customized for harmony. By the way from what speaker you get elliptical cone?It's very interesting what kind of feeling in playing music you can not create with your speakers? . Regards Michael.

Вложения:

СообщениеДобавлено: 22 янв 2013, 18:37 

This is a good question. The main point of my research was to create a driver, which forms a communication bridge between the music and the consciousness of the listener. In other words – to transmit the quintessence of the musical idea directly, without affecting its spiritual expressive properties. When it reproduces music, the feeling of the listener is not that he hears the sound of the music (as with my other drivers) – it is rather like a powerful musical river – the sound flows effortlessly out of an open window and injects directly in the mind of the listener and the feeling is that it penetrates through his entire body – not only the ears, and the listener becomes a part of that musical river. The energy of that musical river is so high, that no one could resist it, even the people who have no interest in listening to music, find themselves involved in the powerful charismatic stream of that musical river. Actually it is very difficult to be explained… So you are asking me what kind of feeling it can NOT create? My answer to this question is there is no such feeling that it cannot be created. It can create very different variety of feelings – from extreme joy/fun/happiness to extreme sorrow/sadness/melancholy. This is very important to me, because the main purpose of Music is to create emotions, no matter if it is live or reproduced music, and it is the maximum intensity and the maximum variety of these emotions that I was looking to achieve. You know there are drivers or loudspeakers that cannot transmit anything (in emotional aspect) – you can hear the sound of the music, but not the music itself. Remember when you were a child and when you had a kiss from your aunt – there is a physical contact in form of a kiss (sound), but nothing happens in emotional/sexual aspect (no music) :) Recently I listened that kind of a system, very very expensive one– it was so far from the Music, that after an hour I was not able to remember what music I was listening to that system!…

On the other hand there are drivers which are good for fast and dynamic music, but they are not able to reproduce slower, more intimate music with deeply emotional content that touches the soul of the listener (for example Ben Webster ballads). And there are drivers that are good for intimate music, but simply fail when asked to reproduce for example Salvatore Accardo playing Paganini’s La Campanella. So my main goal was to create a driver that is able to reproduce correctly both of these different music types, without compromising any of them, to be neutral and just to transmit the feelings without modifying their emotional value. In a few words – it directly projects the musical idea right into the mind of the listener. And then the inner voice (also called "sixth feeling") of that listener tells him: "This is it!".

The cone of the driver is taken from a Bulgarian radio/TV speaker, which is 15x23cm in size. The paper is very thin, but it is strong and not easy deformable. When touched in the air, the feeling is like of touching a living creature – it is nor damped/dead, nor too responsive/bright. It has perfectly balances properties. But in my view the cone (in this particular case!) is no more than 10-15% of the driver’s sound. The original driver that I took the cone from, is really nothing special – ordinary vintage radio sound, absolutely nothing in common with my actual driver, despite both of them use the same cone…
Best regards,
Peter